Sanskrit Language - Introduction
Please Note: This Course has a new start date of April 10, 2013. With the exceptions noted below, class will meet each Monday and Wednesday (7:30pm - 8:30pm EDT) until last class on July 17, 2013.
|Date||April 10, 2013 (Mon/Wed, 7:30pm-8:30pm EDT) through July 17, 2013|
|Faculty||Vinita Sharma, M.A.|
|Sponsor||School of Languages and Literature (SLL)|
Class will not meet the Monday or Wednesday of week of April 22.
Class will not meet on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27.
This online course will be presented in two separate sessions, with class meeting on Monday and Wednesday nights from 7:30 pm until 8:30 pm (EST), beginning in early April 2013. The first session is a prerequisite for taking the second session. Detailed information about how to access the class online will be provided upon registration.
After registering, you will receive emailed instructions for accessing the Orientation meeting and classes.
Participation in this online class requires computer access to the internet (preferably cable modem, and a computer with at least Windows XP capability). There is the option to use your telephone for dialing in for audio access to the meeting and classes. Otherwise, a microphone and speakers/headset will be necessary (unless built in to your computer).
Students will develop limited competency in the Sanskrit language in each of the major communication areas: listening, reading, speaking, and writing. This course focuses on teaching students phrases necessary for fundamental understanding and daily communication in Sanskrit.
Skills that should be developed through this course include:
- Conversing in simple Sanskrit, using present, past and future tenses
- Recalling and using vocabulary pertinent to everyday conversation
- Pronouncing, reading, and writing all vowels, consonants, and consonant-vowel combinations in the Devanagari script correctly
- Recognizing and writing selected conjunct characters
- Reading and writing words and sentences with selected conjunct characters.
The following specifics will be covered, in two separate sessions:
- Writing and reading Sanskrita (Devanagari script)
- Sentence construction
- Past, present and future tense
Regular homework will be assigned.
- Imperative mood
- Introduction to Sandhi (compounding of vowels)
- Interrogative sentences
- Introduction to Sanskrita numerals
- Active and passive voices
Upon successful completion of the course, a Course Completion Certificate will be awarded to the student.
Registration and Fees - $70.00